The very first cruise I went on was with Carnival to Catalina Islands and Ensenada- this sparked my love for cruises! I loved it mainly because of the unlimited food 😉 Every night we would get their famous molten chocolate lava cake with a side of vanilla ice cream. And holy cow, we’d finish one and ask for another, and another, because it was so good! This recipe is just like a lava cake but pie form! This gooey pie is denser than a lava cake, but has a smooth texture and rich delicious taste!!
Ingredients for crust
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chilled butter cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp cold water
Ingredients for pie
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
Directions for crust
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a food processor, blend flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt until well combined. Add chilled cubed butter and pulse until worked into mixture.
- Add a tbsp of water and run processor until dough becomes crumbly. If dough is dry and doesn’t hold together when pinched, add a little more water (tsp at a time.) Make sure dough isn’t wet!
- Using your fingers, mold dough into a 8 or 9 inch pie shell starting from the bottom and then to sides. Poke all over the bottom and sides of the pie shell with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside until filling is ready to be poured in.
Directions for filling
- Keep oven heated at 350F
- In a small bowl whisk milk and cornstarch together. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk eggs and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and chocolate chips over medium-low heat. Once completely melted, add sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk until incorporated. Add milk mixture into chocolate.
- Whisk in a third of chocolate mixture into eggs to temper. Then pour egg mixture back into saucepan. Continue to whisk so eggs dont scramble.
- Once mixture has thickened and is smooth, take off heat. Pour filling into prepared chocolate crust.
- Bake pie for 45- 50 minutes. Pie should have a crisp top and gooey inside. Serve warm or cool with a side of vanilla ice cream:)
*If your not ready to bake pie crust, you can freeze it up to two weeks or refrigerate for a week