- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1-2 vanilla beans or pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks and set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat cream, milk, and sugar over medium-low heat until sugar has completely dissolved. About 3-5 minutes.
- Pour about a third of hot cream mixture into yolks and whisk. Whisk yolks mixture back into pot.
- Continue to whisk while returning pot to medium-low heat. Cook until cream mixture has thickened and reaches 170F.
- Strain cream through a fine sieve into a bowl. Slice vanilla beans in half lengthwise, and scrape seeds out. Add the pods and seeds to cream mixture.
- Cool mixture to room temperature. Cover with Saran Wrap and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Strain mixture to collect vanilla bean pods. Churn in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturers instructions. Serve immediately for soft serve, or place in airtight container to freeze for later.
*Follow step by step, especially when whisking cream into yolks. If yolks are poured directly into hot pot, eggs will scrambled.